Classical statues and busts in the Vatican’s Braccio Nuovo gallery
Classical sculpture in the Vatican’s Braccio Nuovo gallery. The Laocoön entered the same papal collection after Julius II bought it in 1506. Photo via Shutterstock.

A vineyard worker’s spade hit stone on 14 January 1506, on a low hill near the Basilica of Santa Maria Maggiore in Rome. Within hours, the pope’s favourite architect and the sculptor of the Sistine ceiling were standing in the mud looking at one of the most famous statues ever carved. It had been buried for roughly thirteen centuries, and it never really left Rome again. Five hundred and twenty years later, it still stands in the Vatican Museums, in the room built specifically to hold it.

A Vineyard Near Santa Maria Maggiore

The land belonged to a Roman named Felice de Fredis, and the vineyard sat on the Esquiline Hill, in the general area once covered by the palace grounds of the emperor Titus. Workers digging that January uncovered a marble group nearly two metres high: three figures locked together, a father and two sons, wrapped in the coils of sea serpents. Word travelled fast. Pope Julius II, only two years into his pontificate and already obsessed with antiquities, sent men to the site almost immediately.

Sangallo and Michelangelo Get There the Same Day

Among those the pope dispatched was Giuliano da Sangallo, his chief architect. Sangallo brought his young son Francesco along, and picked up Michelangelo Buonarroti on the way, since Michelangelo happened to be nearby and Sangallo wanted a second set of expert eyes. Francesco da Sangallo later wrote an account of that morning, describing the three of them climbing down into the excavation pit together. His father recognised the group on sight, before it was even fully out of the ground, and said aloud that this had to be the Laocoön that Pliny mentioned. It is one of the few moments in Renaissance art history with an eyewitness on record, and the eyewitness was a child watching his father and Michelangelo argue over a hole in a vineyard.

The Statue Pliny Had Described

Sangallo’s guess held up. The Roman writer Pliny the Elder, in his first-century Natural History, had praised a sculpture of Laocoön and his sons kept in the house of the emperor Titus, carved by three sculptors from Rhodes named Agesander, Athenodoros, and Polydorus, calling it a work “to be preferred to any other production of the art of painting or of bronze.” Pliny gave no exact address, but the general location matched, and the subject matched: Laocoön was the Trojan priest who warned against dragging the wooden horse inside the city walls, then was crushed with his sons by serpents sent by the gods who favoured the Greeks. No other known ancient statue fit Pliny’s description this closely. Scholars still argue over whether it is the very marble Pliny saw or a later Roman copy of a lost Hellenistic bronze, but the identification as the Laocoön group has never seriously been in doubt.

What struck Renaissance viewers most was not the identification but the emotion. Roman copies of Greek sculpture that had survived until 1506 tended toward calm, composed faces, even in violent scenes. Laocoön’s face was different: mouth open, brow knotted, a man registering pain rather than posing through it. Michelangelo had already been wrestling with how to carve strained, twisting bodies before that January morning. Seeing an ancient master do it with this much conviction, in a group unearthed a few streets from where he was living, changed how he approached muscle and torsion for the rest of his career, visible later in works like the ignudi on the Sistine ceiling.

Julius II Buys It for the Vatican

Julius II moved fast. He arranged to acquire the statue from de Fredis within weeks, reportedly granting him a benefice in exchange, and had it hauled to the Vatican before the year was out. It arrived to join a small, growing collection of ancient marbles the pope was assembling in a courtyard behind the Belvedere Palace. That space became known as the Cortile delle Statue, and later the Octagonal Court after Bramante gave it its eight-sided shape. The Laocoön was placed there under its own niche, near the Apollo Belvedere, in what amounted to the founding act of the Vatican’s antiquities collection. Everything the Vatican Museums would eventually become, room after room of classical sculpture, traces back to a pope who wanted this particular statue close at hand.

An Arm Was Missing

The group had not survived complete. Laocoön’s right arm was gone, snapped off somewhere in the centuries underground, along with a hand belonging to one of his sons. For a court obsessed with restoring antiquities to a presentable state, a headline sculpture missing a limb was a problem to be solved, not left alone. Within a few decades, workshops in Rome were producing replacement arms in wax and plaster so buyers and popes could see how the statue might look “completed.” The debate over what that arm had actually been doing became, for a while, one of the livelier arguments in Roman art circles.

Michelangelo’s Guess, and the Wrong Fix

Michelangelo, present at the discovery, reportedly argued the missing arm had been bent sharply back over Laocoön’s head, in a tense, straining pose that matched the anguish in the face and torso. Other artists and patrons preferred a version with the arm thrown outward and upward, more heroic and less contorted. In the 1530s, the sculptor Giovanni Angelo Montorsoli, who had trained under Michelangelo, was commissioned to add a permanent arm. He went with the outstretched version, not the bent one his own teacher had proposed. For more than four hundred years, that straight prosthetic arm was simply what the Laocoön looked like. It appeared that way in every engraving, every plaster cast sent to art academies abroad, every guidebook description written between the sixteenth century and the mid-twentieth.

1957: The Fragment in Storage Was Real

The correction came from an object that had been sitting in a Roman stonemason’s yard, then in storage, for decades. In 1906, the archaeologist and antiquities dealer Ludwig Pollak spotted a fragment of a marble arm, bent sharply at the elbow, near the original find site on the Esquiline. He thought it might belong to the Laocoön, based on the marble and the musculature, and gave it to the Vatican Museums. Because it did not match the arm everyone had grown used to seeing, it was catalogued and shelved rather than attached. It sat there for half a century. In 1957, Vatican Museums curators re-examined Pollak’s fragment against the original statue and confirmed it was genuine: the real right arm, bent back toward the head, essentially where Michelangelo had guessed it belonged in 1506. Restorers removed Montorsoli’s sixteenth-century limb and fitted the authentic piece in its place, giving the Laocoön the tighter, more twisted silhouette it has today, closer to the agony Pliny’s contemporaries would have recognised.

Why It Still Sits in the Octagonal Court

The Laocoön has never moved far. It remains in the Octagonal Court of the Pio-Clementino Museum, the same courtyard Julius II built for it, alongside the Apollo Belvedere and other marbles gathered in that first burst of papal collecting. Later popes expanded the Vatican’s holdings into dozens of galleries, but this particular room kept its founding sculpture. Napoleon’s troops did briefly take it to Paris in 1798, part of a wave of looted Italian art displayed at the Louvre; it came back to Rome in 1816 after the Congress of Vienna and went straight back into the same niche. That return trip is really the only time the statue has left the Vatican since 1506.

Visitors reach the Octagonal Court early in a standard Vatican Museums route, not long after the entrance, before the long march toward the Sistine Chapel. That timing is worth using: the courtyard fills in fast once the mid-morning tour groups catch up, so a few extra minutes spent here before the crowd arrives buys a much clearer view. Two details reward a slower look. Check the serpents’ coils for the tool marks of the original carvers, still crisp enough in places to see individual chisel strokes. Then check the join line on the right arm, where the 1957 fragment meets the ancient torso, faintly visible if the light through the courtyard’s open roof catches it at the right angle.

If you want time to actually study details like that instead of being swept past them, going with a guide who knows exactly where to pause helps more in the Octagonal Court than almost anywhere else in the museums. A guided Vatican tour will usually build in that pause before the group moves on toward the Sistine Chapel.